Technology Cluster Mechanical Engineering Technology
The Mechanical Engineering Technology Cluster groups research and service-to-society in the field of Mechanical Engineering at the different engineering Technology Campuses of KU Leuven. Its activities are typically application-driven or application-oriented, and can rely on:
- a strong network with the industrial and services sector, which secures the position of the cluster as a liaison between industry and research. The cluster develops structural relationships with both “technology leader” and “technology adopter” companies.
- presence at 6 intensively cooperating campuses spread across Flanders
- close collaboration with other disciplines as well as with more fundamentally oriented research partners, leading to a continuous interaction between fundamental and applied research activities.
The research groups of the Technology Cluster Mechanical Engineering Technology are active on the Technology Campuses in:
- Acro (Technology Campus Diepenbeek)
- Group T Leuven
- Design & Manufacturing Engineering (O&P) - (De Nayer Sint-Katelijne-Waver)
Socio-economic relevance is a key criterion for defining the research fields of the cluster. The technology cluster currently displays research activities in many typical mechanical engineering domains:
- manufacturing: advanced manufacturing technologies and process innovation, computer support in manufacturing, sustainable manufacturing, quality control, polymer processing, welding
- mechanical design: design for reliability, life cycle engineering, lightweight structures, mechatronics
- robotics and automation: drive systems, integrated automation, vision & robotics, sustainable transport and logistics
- energy: component, small-scale system and macro-level system design and control, solar-based technologies, management and integration of systems in buildings
- biomedical technology & biomechanics: rehabilitation and orthopaedic technology, sports, medical devices and medical instrumentation
- management: lean manufacturing, maintenance and logistics